Looking for the best places to stay in Salt Lake City? These are the top areas and hotels for your trip.
Famed for its ski resorts, outdoor activities, and nightlife, Salt Lake City is Utah’s bustling state capital. And, with a variety of attractions to visit and lots of things to do in the city, finding an ideal place to stay is crucial.
Do you base yourself in the ultra-cool Downtown area? Or, what about the skiing hub of Sugarhouse?
Don’t fret, I’ve got you covered with this epic guide to where to stay in Salt Lake City.
Best Places to Stay in Salt Lake City: At a Glance
|Best Places to Stay in Salt Lake City – Top Picks||Hotels|
|Best Overall Accommodation||Kimpton Hotel Monaco|
|Best Lodge for Luxury Stays||Grand America Hotel|
|Best Inn for Boutique Stays||The Peery Salt Lake City Downtown|
|Best Mid-range Suites Near Salt Lake City||TownePlace Suites|
Where to Stay in Salt Lake City?
Whether you are searching for adventure or history, Salt Lake City has something for everyone.
From luxury hotels in the heart of Downtown to down-to-earth bed and breakfasts that will make your experience feel like home, we’ve compiled this handy guide to help you decide where to stay in Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City has a wide range of accommodations for travelers. There are luxurious hotels, upscale condos, rentals, campgrounds, RV parks, and even cheap hostels where you can stay. We’ve narrowed the list below to the top places to stay in Salt Lake City.
Salt Lake City Highlights
Here are some of the top highlights and attractions in Salt Lake City that you should consider visiting while you’re there:
- The Mormon Temple: This iconic building is a must-see for any visitor to Salt Lake City. The temple is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Utah and offers visitors a look at how life was lived in the early days of Mormonism.
- The University of Utah: Founded in 1849, the University of Utah is one of America’s oldest universities. It has a rich history, including contributions by pioneers such as Brigham Young. The university is home to many impressive landmark buildings, such as the Wilkinson Athletic Center and Romney Stadium.
- Salt Lake City Symphony Orchestra: One of Salt Lake City’s main attractions is its world-renowned symphony orchestra. The orchestra has been performing since 1886 and regularly tours around the country. Whether you’re looking to listen to classical music or something more modern, the orchestra will have something for you.
- Red Butte Garden: If you’re looking for a relaxing spot to take in some views of Salt Lake City, Red Butte Garden is perfect. The garden features gardens dating back to 1874, landscaped grounds with ponds and streams, and sculptures.
Suggested Accommodations in Salt Lake City
Heading to Salt Lake City and looking for the best place to stay? Here are some suggestions for accommodations in SLC:
- The Embassy Suites by Hilton: This hotel is perfect for business travelers and offers plenty of amenities, including a business center and free Wi-Fi. The hotel also offers complimentary breakfast, evening wine, and hors d’oeuvres receptions.
- The Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott: This hotel is perfect for those looking for a little more luxury than the other options listed. It features beautiful architecture and spacious rooms with all the necessities, like a refrigerator and cable TV.
Downtown: Where to Stay In Salt Lake City Downtown
If you’re wondering where to stay in Salt Lake City, then head Downtown and thank us later. The historic architecture and retail options in this area are totally unique, and there’s always something new to see.
The Downtown area is also home to many popular restaurants and nightlife destinations, including The District, Sugar House, and The Gateway, so it’s perfect if you’re looking for a livelier place to dwell.
- Visit the State Capitol: The State Capitol is one of Salt Lake City’s most popular attractions. It was built in 1875 and is home to many historical artifacts and monuments.
- Tour the Central Business District: The Central Business District is home to many major businesses and offices. It’s also a center for nightlife and dining options.
- Take a walk through the Historic District: The Historic District is another popular destination in Downtown Salt Lake. It’s home to many historic buildings, including the Utah State Capitol building.
- Go shopping at one of Salt Lake City’s numerous malls, including The Gateway Mall and South Towne Center. There’s something for everyone here, from high-end boutiques to affordable stores that offer great discounts on items you might need during your staycation.
- Marvel at the architecture of City Creek Center, one of Downtown’s newest and most exciting attractions. This complex includes a mix of high-end retailers and luxury apartments, making it an ideal place to spend an afternoon shopping or catching a movie.
Suggested Hotels in Downtown
- Confused about where to stay in Salt Lake City Utah? The Radisson Hotel Downtown is also located in Downtown Salt Lake City and offers guests a variety of amenities, including an indoor pool, a fitness center, and a business center. The hotel also provides a free shuttle service to SLC International Airport.
- The Hilton Garden Inn Downtown is centrally located in the heart of Downtown and offers excellent rates. It also has a variety of amenities, including an outdoor pool and fitness center.
Sugarhouse: Where to Stay in Salt Lake City for Skiing
If you’re looking for a great place to ski in the Salt Lake City area, look no further than Sugarhouse.
Sugarhouse boasts plenty of slopes, including a beginner’s slope, so that everyone can have a great time skiing. Sugarhouse also offers night skiing, so you can enjoy the slopes even after the sun goes down.
If you’re looking for a unique experience, Sugarhouse is worth checking out.
- The Salt Lake Temple is a must-see attraction in Sugarhouse. Built in 1903, it is the largest Mormon temple in the world and is still in use today.
- The Historic District of Sugarhouse is also a must-see attraction. This area features Victorian homes from the early 1800s and shops, restaurants, and galleries.
- The Utah State Capitol building is located just outside Sugarhouse and offers a great view of the cityscape. It is also home to the state library and museum.
- The Bluff Park area is another unique place to visit in Sugarhouse. This park has a playground, a pool, and lots of green space to enjoy.
Suggested Hotels in Sugarhouse
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Salt Lake City Sugar House offer a variety of amenities, including complimentary breakfast and 24-hour room service.
- If you’re looking for something more luxurious, consider checking out the Hampton Inn & Suites. They have a range of rooms and amenities, including free high-speed Internet access and fitness centers.
Central City: Best Places to Stay in Salt Lake City
If you’re looking for a place to spend a day in Salt Lake City, there are plenty of attractions within the city center. It is one of the best areas to stay in Salt Lake City because most of the attractions are located in one area, they’re all worth checking out.
Central City Highlights
- Trolley Square is a fun place to spend an afternoon in Salt Lake City. The area is full of brightly colored trollies and benches, making it a great spot to take a break and enjoy the weather. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants nearby, so you can easily find something to do.
- Liberty Park is an ample green space right in the heart of Downtown Salt Lake City that offers plenty of outdoor seating, including a large lawn and a children’s play area. The Park Cafe is one of the best places to get breakfast or lunch in central SLC.
Suggested Hotels in Central City
- The Sheraton Hotel is centrally located in the city and has a variety of amenities, including an indoor pool and spa. Rooms here go for around $200 per night.
- The Park City Marriott Resort has long been a favorite of business travelers, and its location in the heart of Main Street makes it easy to get around.
Ogden: Where to Stay in Salt Lake City
One of the most popular tourist destinations on the Wasatch Front is Ogden. This city, located in Weber County, offers visitors plenty of attractions that can keep them busy for days.
Ogden’s most famous sights are the Utah State Capitol building and the Pioneer Monument. So, if you are wondering where to stay near Salt Lake City, consider Ogden. It’s home to plenty of lively restaurants and bars, making it an ideal place to spend a weekend or holiday.
- The Utah State Capitol Building: This imposing building is home to the state legislature and various government offices. It’s a beautiful structure and a great place to take photos.
- The Ogden Museum of Art: This museum has an impressive collection of works throughout history, including paintings by Rembrandt and Degas. You can also find exhibits on modern and contemporary art.
- The Weber State University Campus: This sprawling campus is home to several prestigious schools, including Weber State University itself and Brigham Young University–Idaho: It’s a great exploring place, with plenty of historic buildings and gorgeous gardens.
- The Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge: This wildlife reserve is home to numerous migratory birds, including bald eagles and trumpeter swans. You can see them up close at various observation points around the refuge.
Suggested Hotels in Ogden
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Ogden Downtown is a wonderful choice for those looking for value accommodation. It’s also located just minutes from all the city’s attractions.
- Tru by Hilton Ogden is located in the heart of downtown Ogden and close to many attractions, including the University of Utah and Pioneer Park. The hotel offers a variety of amenities, such as complimentary self-parking, a fitness center, and a business center, making it perfect for a stay in Ogden.
The Maven District: Best Neighborhood to Stay in Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City is home to many unique and exciting neighborhoods, but one of our favourite spots is the Maven District. This area is known for its trendy stores, eclectic restaurants, and vibrant nightlife.
The Maven District is also home to some of Salt Lake City’s most notable attractions, such as the Utah Museum of Fine Arts and the George S. and Dolores D. Eccles Convention Center.
Visitors to the district can explore a variety of shops and boutiques, enjoy a variety of restaurants or take in a show at one of the many theaters in the area. If you’re looking to soak up culture (and alcohol), this is the district for you.
The Maven District Highlights
- The district’s most popular restaurants include Piñata Café, Salt Lick BBQ, and Blue Bottle Coffee.
- The Museum of Art: The Museum of Art is one of Salt Lake City’s most popular museums, and for a good reason: its collection is diverse and impressive. You’ll find everything from ancient Egyptian art to contemporary paintings here.
- The George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Theater is home to the acclaimed Utah Shakespeare Festival, Broadway showings, and music concerts.
- Temple Square is located at the center of the maven district and is home to several iconic Mormon temples, including The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) Utah Temple and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) Museum of Church History and Art.
Suggested Hotels in Maven District
- The Courtyard by Marriott in Murray is perfect for guests who want a well-designed environment with state-of-the-art amenities. It offers an outdoor pool, fitness center, complimentary breakfast, and high-speed internet access in all rooms.
- If you’re looking for a boutique hotel that offers excellent service, consider Staybridge Suites Salt Lake City Downtown. This property features luxurious amenities such as a beautiful on-site restaurant and lounge.
Where to Stay in Salt Lake City: Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re looking for an affordable and convenient place to stay in Salt Lake City, consider checking out the city’s Downtown area. This region is home to a variety of budget-friendly hotels, as well as some more luxurious options.
Another great option for those looking for a central location is the University of Utah area. You’ll find plenty of moderately priced hotels and resorts within walking distance of campus.
Finally, if you have more money to spend and are looking for a luxurious stay, consider checking out the city’s upscale neighborhoods like Sugar House or Park City. Both locations offer top-notch accommodations with stunning views of the Wasatch Mountains.
There are a few great options if you’re looking to ski in Salt Lake City. The Wasatch Mountains are home to several ski resorts, including Park City and Deer Valley. Both have extensive ski facilities and plenty of amenities like shopping and restaurants.
There are also plenty of hotels that have hiking trails nearby. One great option is the Park City Mountain Resort, which has its hiking trail and allows guests to use the facilities at the resort, including the pool and spa.
Practical Tips to Consider Before Booking Your Salt Lake City Accommodation
When planning your trip to Salt Lake City, consider your budget and what amenities you need. Here are a few practical tips to help you get the most out of your stay in this gorgeous city:
- Start by looking at the various hotel options. There are plenty of affordable options as well as some more luxurious choices.
- Also consider staying in a suburb of the city. This will save you money on transportation and parking costs while giving you easy access to all that Salt Lake City offers.
- Consider booking a room with a view. Not only will you get a stunning view while staying in Salt Lake City, but it will also add value to your stay. Be sure to ask about these amenities when making your reservation.
- Check out the various restaurants and cafes in the area before settling on one. You may be surprised at how many great places there are to eat without breaking the bank!
- Make use of the city’s public transportation system if needed. It’s easy and inexpensive to use, making it an ideal option for visitors who want to save on car rental costs.